Biodiversity Week Event – Biodiversity Bites Delgany
Nature is in more trouble now than at any other time in human history, with extinction looming over one million species of plants and animals, scientists said on Monday in the UN’s first comprehensive report on biodiversity.
As part of National Biodiversity Week Delgany Tidy Towns has organised an excellent line-up of speakers to share their ‘Biodiversity Bites’ on Sunday 19th May, 4pm in Delgany Golf Club.
Set on the edge of Glen of the Downs Nature Reserve, Delgany Golf Club is an ideal setting to learning more about Biodiversity. There’s an impressive line-up of speakers including Duncan Stewart, environmentalist and TV personality, Dr. Matthew Jebb Irish botanist and Director of the National Botanic Gardens, and Donna Mullen who will be running a bat box making workshop for younger nature enthusiasts. There will also be a memorial presentation to honour Eamon DeBuitlear, Wicklow native, wildlife expert, film maker and writer. As a founder of the Irish Wildlife Trust it is fitting that the memorial is awarded as the trust celebrate their 40th anniversary.
The full list of speakers are:
- Dr Matthew Jebb; Botanist, Taxonomist and Director of the Botanic Gardens
- Duncan Stewart; Film Maker, environmentalist and RTE presenter
- Donna Mullen; ecologist, environmentalist and founder member of Bat Conservation Ireland
- Jeremy Emmet Booth; researcher in Agricultural Bio-Diversity.
- Dr. Alan Lauder; ornithologist, ecologist, conservation & land management specialist
- Coillte – Official launch of the Delgany Tree for a Child Programme. Planting trees is low-tech, sustainable and possibly one of the most effective things we can do to fight climate change. Over the next 5 years Delgany Tidy Towns endeavours to plant a tree for each child in the village.
Biodiversity Bites Delgany is a free event taking place on Sunday 19th May at 4pm in Delgany Golf Club, Co. Wicklow. Places are limited and need to be booked in advance here https://www.eventbrite.ie/o/delgany-tidy-towns-20179476414
We are very grateful to the following for supporting our event; Delgany Golf Club, The Irish Environmental Network, Green Foundation Ireland and The Local Authority Waters and Community Office.