Kindlestown Castle is a late stone example of a medieval hall house, possibly dating back to the 9th century. In 1301 the Uí Broin (O’Byrnes) burned down nearby Rathdown Castle, and the occupant may have stayed at Kindlestown. But the owner of the lands, John Fitzdermot, did not have the stomach to fight the local Irish, and so did not retake Rathdown Castle, instead conveyed the manor of Rathdown to Nigel le Brun, Escheator of Ireland in about 1305.
In 1377 the Uí Broin (O’Byrnes) attacked and took Kindlestown Castle itself. It was later recovered by Robert Wikeford, Lord Chancellor of Ireland (who was also the Archbishop), and it later passed into the possession of the Archbold family.
In September 1649, Cromwell arrived with his soldiers and his soldiers stayed in Killincarrig Castle. The locals stole Cromwell’s favourite horse. This angered Cromwell immensely, and as a result he ransacked Kindlestown Castle.
The castle was rebuilt and was occupied into the 18th century. Upon excavating it was established that the south and west walls represented a replacement wall built in the 19th century.
The castle today lies much in ruin, but one can still feel the grandeur emanating from this castle around 1000 years old.